Low-Fat Hearty Turkey Chili
November 15, 2021
Recipe from: https://www.eatthis.com/hearty-turkey-chili-recipe/
1 Tbsp canola
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
1⁄4 cup chili powder
1⁄8 tsp ground cinnamon
2 bay leaves
2 lb lean ground turkey
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 piece (1 oz) dark chocolate or 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 bottle or can (12 oz) dark beer
1 Tbsp chopped chipotle pepper
1 can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes
1 can (14 oz) white beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and black pepper to taste
Hot sauce or cayenne (optional) to taste
Raw onions, shredded cheese, chopped scallions, lime wedges, sour cream (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, oregano, chili powder, cinnamon, and bay leaves and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the spices are very fragrant.
- Add the turkey and tomato paste and stir with a wooden spoon until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Add the chocolate, beer, chipotle, and tomatoes, squeezing each tomato between your fingers so that it’s still chunky but not whole.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the beans and season with salt and pepper.
- Taste; if you like your chili hotter, add your favorite hot sauce or a few pinches of cayenne.
- Cook until the beans are hot. Serve topped with your choice of garnishes.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.