There seems to be an unfortunate correlation between the increasing hustle and bustle of the holidays and getting sick. Here is a 7-Step guide to staying healthy this holiday season:
- Stay Warm: Wear lots of layers during cool weather! Make sure to invest in a wind-resistant coat, especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors. Also, the cooler seasons are an excellent time to stay warm with healthy herbal teas.
- Stay Hydrated: A normal, healthy person needs between 30 and 50 ounces of water per day. Fluids flush bacteria from your body and help it function optimally!
- Get Enough Sleep: Many people feel overwhelmed by the abundance of commitments that surround the holiday season. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. The National Sleep Foundation recommends seven to eight hours of sleep for people over age 64 and seven to nine hours for ages 18 to 64. Kids need more sleep.
- Avoid Smoking: It’s common for some people to smoke during social engagements. But even smoking socially is dangerous for your health. Do you want to quit smoking? Click here.
- Stay Active: Try to break a sweat every single day. Consistent cardio-activity is an excellent way to avoid getting sick this holiday season.
- Wash Your Hands: The holidays season is also cold and flu season. Avoid getting a cold or the flu by washing your hands with warm water and anti-bacterial soap frequently.
- Keep Your Diet Balanced: Moderation is key. Occasionally indulging in your holiday favorites is okay, just remember to also make healthy choices along the way!