Healthier Flourless Chocolate Cake
Check out this delicious flourless chocolate cake (gluten-free)! It’s a perfect addition to Valentine’s dinner!
- 4 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup light-tasting olive oil
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp espresso powder (optional)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted* (plus more for dusting)
- Fresh berries such as blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Place a double boiler over simmering water. Add the baking chocolate and olive oil and heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate is completely melted. Note: If you do not have a double boiler pan, a large mixing bowl works well placed over a pan of simmering water.
- Remove the chocolate mixture from the heat and set aside to cool slightly. Stir in the maple syrup, espresso powder (if using), vanilla extract, salt, and baking powder. Mix gently until just combined.
- Add the applesauce and eggs, mixing just until smooth. Stir in the cocoa powder until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place in the preheated oven. Bake until the top of the cake forms a thin crust and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle registers 200 degrees F, about 25 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before loosening the edges with a butter knife and gently removing the sides of the pan. Allow the cake to cool completely before serving. Top with cocoa powder and fresh berries, if desired.
*Be sure to sift the cocoa powder so that it does not leave clumps in your cake.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.