Although it may not seem likely, winter-related emergencies do happen. It’s important to be aware of the risks associated with winter storms and how best to prepare in the event of an emergency.
Emergencies that can arise in a winter storm include:
- Health risks like hypothermia and frostbite
- Unsafe driving conditions on icy roads
- Loss of electricity
- Flooding as a result of snow melt
How can you be prepared for a winter emergency?
- Have a disaster plan in place that includes emergency contact numbers and a communication strategy for you and your family.
- Prepare your home to prevent pipes from freezing
- Stock-up on supplies and food if you know a storm is coming
- If driving, be sure to pack supplies in your car like jumper cables, extra blankets and coats, water and snacks, first aid kit, etc.