In North Carolina, Governor Roy Cooper has issued a state-wide mask mandate in response to rising coronavirus case numbers over the summer. It is important to abide by these regulations in order to protect those who are most vulnerable in our community. The current guidelines for North Carolina are to wear a face-covering when in public places, indoor or outdoor, when physical-distancing of 6 feet or more is not possible.
Here are some tips for wearing your face mask properly:
- Keep it snug: Your mask should be snug against the sides of your phase, completely covering your nose and mouth.
- Multiple Layers: It is beneficial to use a cloth face mask that has multiple layers of fabric. Also, many cloth face masks have a filter pocket where you can insert an additional layer of protection. A piece of vacuum filter, coffee filter, or even shop towels can be used as filter-inserts. Make sure to allow for comfortable breathing.
- Careful Use: When putting on your face mask, do not rub your eyes. Try not to touch it once you put it on. Wash your hands before and after using your mask.
- Wash it: Cloth face masks should be washed after each use.
- Stay informed: Recommendations for mask use and social distancing are changing rapidly as research on COVID-19 is released. Be sure to stay informed by credible sources!