With the arrival of spring, many patients face seasonal allergies like hay fever. Although the blooming flowers and trees are a beautiful sight, the additional pollen can mean sneezing, runny nose, headaches, a scratchy throat, etc. For many patients, these symptoms are simply unavoidable and allergy medicine is the only solution for relief. But other patients may be able to combat seasonal allergies by taking a few simple, natural steps:
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV): Mix 1 TBSP of unfiltered apple cider vinegar into a tall glass of water. Consume daily. ACV can help thin-out mucus and relieve symptoms.
- Neti Pot: If you suffer from severe congestion during allergy season, a neti pot can help cleanse your sinuses. Be sure to use sterile, distilled, or previously boiled water with a saline packet.
- Probiotics: Probiotics can help to restore healthy gut bacteria which strengthen your immune system and your susceptibility to colds that may result from allergies.
- Low-Inflammatory Foods: Chronic allergy sufferers may benefit from a diet that avoids dairy, gluten, and sugar. A minimally processed diet can greatly aid in reducing inflammation in the body.
- Peppermint Tea: Drinking a warm cup of peppermint tea with a teaspoon of honey can be beneficial in relieving a scratchy throat.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a natural antihistamine that can help reduce inflammation.
If you suffer from seasonal allergies, you may benefit from exploring these natural remedies. But if you do not find relief, please call Sensenbrenner Primary Care today. We are more than happy to discuss potential allergy treatments with you!
Call us today: 704-887-1101